My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, March 15, 2010

How green tastes


On her lovely blog Dandelion, Rose recently shared her version of a recipe for Wilted Kale and Mustard Greens Salad that was originally featured on the Manifest: Vegan blog. We had to try it - it not only sounded good and über-healthy, I was intrigued with the concept of massaged greens, and thought this would be a great way to try kale (a favorite veggie) raw.

The salads we made more closely followed the Manifest Vegan version, but I used hemp seeds instead of walnuts like Rose did. I wasn't able to get fresh mustard greens, so used organic Swiss chard instead. I also used crimini instead of portabello mushrooms, and Muir Glen organic fire-roasted tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.

Massaging the greens was a fun tactile experience... but then, I enjoy playing with my food! :-)

Isn't it pretty?

Believe me, there are a lot of greens buried beneath
those avos, 'maters, 'shrooms & hemp seeds! :-)

I will definitely make this again, with a few changes. Next time I'll use the mustard (or maybe collard) greens, as I think their flavor might be better in this than the chard; lemon instead of grapefruit juice; and the cherry tomatoes for the fresh little "snap" their texture provides. And I'm going to follow Rose's lead and sauté the mushrooms in some tamari along with the water. I thought this dish would benefit from the flavor of tamari, but was concerned that sprinkling tamari directly on the salad would make it too salty and otherwise overwhelm it. The flavors of this dish are subtle and delicate, and very, very fresh! If the color green has a flavor, this is definitely it! Which makes this salad especially appropriate with St. Patrick's Day and the Vernal Equinox right around the corner! :-)

His & hers Wilted Greens salads
Served with a side of whole grain bread, they were very filling!

for the recipe, Rose!

11 comments:

  1. Lalo,

    Looks great! I was also very tempted by Rose's recipe. Now I think I should stop by the grocery store before I head for home (since I am out now). Isn't technology wonderful? I need to get back to sipping my tea and shopping for books.

    ttyl,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, you are definitely and without a doubt the most wired, connected, plugged in person I know! :-)

    I think you should stop by the grocery store on your way home too. I have a little list... would you mind terribly? Surely you have a techno gadget that could email me my groceries! (Wouldn't THAT be something?) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalo,

    I haven't figured out how to teleport yet. But as soon as I do, I will let you know. LOL.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laloofah,

    Your salad looks fabulous; I'm glad you liked it...I think I might like lemon juice over the grapefruit juice too.

    You've reminded me that I must make this again and follow the original recipe more closely...the avocado must add a nice dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali - you mean you forgot to hit the Teleporters-R-Us outlet store on Saturday? Sheesh. ;-)

    Rose - We use lemon juice and tahini as our salad dressing most of the time, so I'm sure that sautéing the mushrooms in tahini and using lemon juice to massage the greens should make a great combo! (The grapefruit juice was too sweet for us, I think).

    As a card-carrying avocado freak, I think avocados would add a nice dimension even to root canals and tax audits. So yes, they have no problem adding a nice dimension to these lovely salads! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on the avocado thing...tahini sald dressing sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose - oh man, I did write tahini, didn't I? I meant tamari! I think Molly's comment on my Boo-Boo Paté post about her husband using tahini instead of tamari in a recipe must have stuck in my brain! (I'd much rather blame that than old age!) Anyway, it's tamari and lemon juice we put on our salads!

    I should just start calling tahini "sesame butter" from now on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post!
    I adore kale and Mustard greens! I can't wait to try this! I am going to pop over to dandelion right now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivacious, if you adore kale and mustard greens then this salad should definitely float your boat! Hope you'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, delicious! I recently discovered Manifest: Vegan and it's one of my favorites! I enjoy massaging greens, too. I'm very tactile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary - I'm not surprised to hear you're tactile too. Your food and fibers posts are often indicative of that! :-) I can't go into most shops - especially clothing or fabric stores, or any place selling earthy stuff like pottery or stone products - without touching stuff. Most of it is my tactile nature, and some of it is making up for my youth, when one of my mother's favorite phrases was always, "Don't touch anything!" (I make up for lost time and missed opportunities in the same way by riding my shopping cart at high speed from the stores back to my car, because now I be grown dammit, and no one can tell me I can't anymore!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"