My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It beats a broken heart (or broken dish)...


Or a twisted neck!


But it sucks nevertheless that I still can't nail the landing on my triple salchow/double toe loop combination, because as I was rushing to my car to go pick up a goodie I'd commissioned a couple months ago from a local artisan, Bob TippieI fell on the ice late Friday afternoon and broke my right elbow. And naturally, I'm right-handed. It hurt like the dickens (I can feel the empathy coming from you through the "Internets," dear Molly and Jane!) but I went to my appointment anyway, because this was the irresistibly tantalizing treasure that was waiting for me at Mr. Tippie's house...


He makes the easel he provides with each piece out of copper plumbing. Clever!


I took the first photo without flash and the second one with it, so you can see how the colors change and shimmer with the light. I love the funky shape of the clay dish and the sparkly glass and the colors, and am very grateful I got my thing-busting tumble out of the way before I had to carry this through the thickly falling snow and across more trecherous ice to my car, and then into the cottage! 

Only after it was safely ensconced there did I remove my jacket to survey the damage to my elbow. It was swollen and I could only bend it a little without excruciating pain, so I got a lift to the ER where I spent the next three hours getting xrays, a CT scan, a splint, and - only at the very end - pain pills! Sadists.

I saw the orthopedic doctor yesterday, who said surgery isn't required nor recommended at this point, and to my delight neither is a cast. He removed my splint, repositioned my elbow to bring the bone ends closer to together, and put me in a new splint that now allows me the somewhat awkward use of my fingers for typing. Which is good, since I'm not allowed to do anything else with my right hand and arm for 2-3 weeks, and at least permitted me to put this post together. He also had the xray tech put my elbow xrays on a disc for me so I could post one of them here (for ABC Wednesday tomorrow, which is the letter "E" - how perfectly did I orchestrate my pratfall, and how dedicated a blogger am I? LOL), but since my iMac can't make heads nor tails out of the disc contents, I thought I'd just post this update today and take the opportunity to wish you all a very.... 


And be careful out there, those of you in wintery lands!

20 comments:

  1. Ouch!...get well...be more full of care...happy V. day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (sings) 'anything you can do, I can do ...(insert) better/sooner/quicker/.'

    Ooh ooh, we can swap ER stories/fracture clinic stories/one handed ablutions stories/the tradition of slipping on the ice and breaking a bone close to your 50th birthday stories!
    Heal soon.
    Jane x
    PS. They didn't give me any pain meds...that's Canadian health service at it's best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah - you have returned! So glad that dish was unscathed too :O))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your elbow heals quickly -what a pain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Oh! Oh! You are a trooper:-) Great shots and I hope the pain abates soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there we go again with that vegan mind meld thing. Just 5 weeks and a day after I break my left elbow and you break your right! Ouch!! I'm so sorry that it's your dominant arm, too. It's been so hard dealing with my left, I can't even imagine. :(

    They'll probably have you start taking your arm out of the splint sometime in the next week or so to start moving it, which is horrendous, but helps. I just vented about my very slow progress yesterday in my post.

    I can't believe that you went and ran your errand after it happened, too. How did you stand the pain?? I can understand the lure of such a beautiful piece of work, though. I adore dragonflies and that's just absolutely gorgeous.

    I hope that your pain isn't too excruciating yet. Mine seemed to last forever, even with pain pills. That's terrific that you won't need surgery, too. Take care and heal! Oh, and happy valentine's day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dish is lovely, and I'm glad you had a chance to pick it up before being banned from using the arm. But, does it strike you as a bit odd and prescient that the artist's name is "Tippie?" Even putting "bob" in front of tippie is a bit suspicious.

    I just read that beets inhibit pain and make bones heal faster, so you might want to have the cook prepare them often. :D Hope your pain is minimal and your healing high speed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm grateful, no surgery, or cast and that there are wee little nubs that can squirrel around on a the keyboard a bit.
    You dish is delightful. I know, you HAD to have it. I imagine in changing light the colors are amazing.
    Please be safe. Perhaps this is a signal that you can sit around on your tushie and relax a bit. :) Or am I just making lemonade here?
    Stay safe, and up right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man Laurie, so sorry to hear about your elbow!! You and Molly both; yipes! Talk about sympathetic pain. I hope it heals quickly so you can get back to the triple salchow...personally, I'm hoping to land a quadruple one someday, with an extra twist and spin thrown in for good measure. :P

    The dragonfly plate is gorgeous!

    Happy Valentine's Day Laurie...heal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so so sorry. I hope the pain killers are effective and that you recover soon. Or sooner that that.

    That dish is enchanting and it is wonderful that you didn't have it in your hand as you hit the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing. With a broken elbow you went on with your errand to pick up the dish (beautiful) and then trudged home through ice and snow. You are one brave woman. Nice to hear you can semi-use your right hand. Does this mean you can only type -- no housework? -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry about your fall - best wishes for an easy and speedy recovery. I love your dragonfly dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! I hope you have a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of concern and your well wishes! While I can now type 2-handed, it's not entirely comfortable and I'm having to limit myself or it gets quite painful. So it will be a little while yet before I'm able to type proper replies to some of your comments. Thanks again! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. TW! All I can say is....and don't shoot me ;-)....that I'm very glad that if you were going to slip and fall anyway, it's a good thing you didn't do it AFTER you picked up your art piece. It's very lovely and I'm glad it didn't get broken. Now....as for you ;-)...I'm so glad you don't need surgery and no cast either! Heal, my deal, heal. Some day the ice will all be gone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oww!! Hope you have recovered well by now, Laloofah. At least, out of most pain. Maybe not quite ready for salchows and toe loops, but hopefully for a double tickle on the key board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry to hear about your elbow! I hope that your recovery is as quick and painless as possible. Maybe looking at your lovely new art piece will help your spirits, if nothing else! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope the healing is coming along swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The piece you picked up is beautiful! I love how you shared the two separate shots showcasing the different shimmer of the dragonfly wings :-) But boy, what an ordeal you went through to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya, I really love it. It was worth the ordeal! :-)

      Delete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"