My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, March 4, 2013

Panoramas and Pancakes

We had such a beautiful weekend! Friday (and the month of March) started out with a pretty sunrise...

More photos of this sunrise and Saturday's will appear in my next SkyWatch post

... and the day and the weekend just kept getting prettier. We hit a high on Saturday of 56ยบ with no wind and and lots of sunshine, so we boosted our depleted Vitamin D levels with a good bask on the patio (in shorts!), and after a lunch of elaborate kale salads, we boosted our cardio with a long walk with the dogs. We ended up in our old Dragonfly Cottage neighborhood and caught up on the latest with a former neighbor there. It seemed like everyone (and their dogs) was out enjoying the first really beautiful day we've had!

Sunday wasn't quite as nice, so we... well, actually I... decided that a pancake brunch would be grand. BW is the pancake-master in this house, so I'm usually the one who decides when pancakes are a good idea - which he then implements. I think it's a great system. :-) Although cloudy it was pleasantly warm, but the weather was predicted to deteriorate by late afternoon (and did it ever, abruptly obliterating our lovely weekend with very sudden 60 mph winds and snow that are continuing today!) So we took the dogs on another good walk, and this time I took my camera and got some nice photos of the mountains. As with the sunrise photos and a couple of eerie ones I took of the winter storm's leading edge blowing by, I'm saving most of them for SkyWatch posts ~ but here's another sneak peek...



By the time we got home it was about 1pm and BW thought that meant he was off the hook for a pancake brunch. But since I was hungry AND wanting to take photos of them so I could share the recipe on this post, I held him to it. And aren't you glad I'm such a hardass? :-)


Chunky Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
based on a recipe at FatFree Vegan Recipes

Ingredients:

 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
¼ cup rolled oats
¼ cup oat bran
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 TBSP baking powder
½
 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½
 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup raisins
1 apple, peeled and chopped (we usually use organic Granny Smith or Gala)
2¼ 
cups apple juice (we use organic unfiltered apple juice)

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients. Add nuts, raisins and apple. Gently stir in juice until dry ingredients are completely moistened. Ladle batter by 1/4 - 1/3 cupfuls onto a hot non-stick skillet or griddle. Cook until bottom is brown and spatula slips easily underneath. Turn and brown other side. Makes about 10 plump 4" pancakes.

14 comments:

  1. I AM so glad you're such a hardass!! Those pancakes looks amazing. And sounds like you had a really lovely weekend - thanks for sharing your beautiful shot of the sunrise and mountains!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious-looking pancakes. And that mountain shot is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your due diligence and, of course, for being such a hard ass. Oh, and I guess to BW too for actually making them... But you know, whatever. ;)

    I envy your beautiful, sunny day, but I'm glad you were able to really go out and soak it up! The frigid winter days can be taxing, but it certainly makes you appreciate the warm ones anew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very envious of your pancake system. With systems like this, you occasionally need to be a little hardass to keep them working properly. Yes, indeed, hunger and photography require strict adherence to established protocols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know whether your sunrise, your snowy mountain scene or your pancakes look more delectable.
    I have saved the pancake recipe and will make it for himself when the weather gets a little cooler.
    Thank you on all three fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such gorgeous skies! The mountain shot looks like something you'd see on a calendar. It's so pretty! <3

    The pancakes sound (and look) spectacular. I love that they have raisins in them, too. What a great touch!

    I'm very jealous that you had a 56 degree day. Looks like it'll be a while before that happens here....

    ReplyDelete
  7. SweetPotatoMayas ~ LOL - thanks for your support! :-) You're very welcome, hope you'll stop by when I post the best sky photos from the weekend for SkyWatch Friday!

    ladyfi ~ Thank you!

    Cadry ~ Well, it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it, right? And fear not, BW always gets mad props for his yummy cooking efforts! :-)

    February is usually a pretty pleasant month here, with lots of "donut holes" in the bad weather ~ relatively warm sunny days for basking. But not this year! February was nasty, so I'm glad March offered up a lamb-like day at the start (sure turned into a lion Sunday afternoon through yesterday, though!) Nice days like Saturday sure help to break up the long winters.

    Andrea ~ I agree, and there will be no slacking or deviation from said protocols on MY watch! ;-)

    Ellie C ~ Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the entire ensemble! And that you'll be enjoying the results of the recipe in real life down the road. It's a perfect one for Autumn and Winter! Hope himself enjoys it. :-)

    Molly ~ Thanks! I'm really delighted with the photos the Rebel can take!

    We've made these pancakes with golden raisins before, too. The combo of sweet/tart apples, sweet chewy raisins and crunchy walnuts is really wonderful. These are BW's favorite pancakes. For me, they're in a tie for #1 with the Golden Spice Pancakes (made with oranges), which I especially like in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pancakes and panoramas - yes please! Um, awesome views and those p-cakes look soo yummy! I was on a pancake making spree for a while but these look better! I did make up a really tasty vegan cranberry-oat-raisin cookie recipe a couple weeks ago though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Molly ~ I meant to apologize for not sending you our lovely warm weather ahead of the winter storm! Not fair that you should get the one without the other. The weather gods are wicked that way.

    Jill ~ Oh, they are all of that! :-) Hope you'll give them a try. Your cookie recipe sounds delicious (we love cranberries!)... are you going to share, or merely tease and torment us? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, those pancakes ! And that sky over the mountains .. Your photos just make me happy !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful skies and grub, you old hardass, you ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silver Bunny ~ Glad to hear it!

    Spud ~ Yeah, buns of steel over here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your system - you make the decision and he implements even after 1pm!! He is a good man! Those pancakes look absolutely wonderful and I think it's not we who are fortunate that you are a hardass - it's you. After all we only got to salivate on our computer screens - you got to eat those amazingly nice looking pancakes!!!

    Love the mountain photo too. The clouds and mountains seem to mirror one another in a vague way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too, and agree that I've got myself a keeper. :-) The pancakes are as wonderful as they look, but you'll get to find that out for yourself during your visit (you might need to book TWO seats for your flight home! LOL) And yes, I am the lucky one who definitely got to enjoy the immediate benefits of being a hardass. But since my hardassness (now why doesn't my spellchecker approve of that?!) got me the photo op and hence the photos I needed for this post and hence the opportunity to share this recipe with you hoi polloi, the benefits of my hardassness were far-reaching indeed. :-D

      Nice observation about the clouds mirroring the mountains in that photo. There was a "trompe l'oeil" cloudbank on the horizon yesterday that looked enough like a snow-covered mountain range that I did a double-take! I love it when the clouds take on that mountainous look.

      Delete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"