My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Saturday, October 19, 2013

Petite Pears

Happy weekend, everybody! BW and I swear this past week had an extra day in it. If only the weekend would, too! :-)

Anyway, just popping in with a quick update. We had a fun visit with Joanne, and photos from the quilt show and other highlights of her visit will probably be my next posts (need to snag a few pics from Jo's camera to add, she got some good ones!) But for now I wanted to share this photo of the adorable wee pears that Jackie and Al brought us yesterday (just a very small sampling of the huge bag full she brought!) They're so sweet! No really - they're so sweet! And juicy! A lot of flavor packed into a very petite package...


I threw the penny on the plate for size comparison - the pears are less than an inch and a half wide. We've been munching on them as snacks, but I plan to use most of them in batches of Res-pear-ation Sauce and Ginger Cinnamon Fruit Salad. (If only Jackie and Al had a pomegranate tree, too!) :-)

And speaking of Jackie and Al and their trees, when she brought over the pears I asked her how their wounded maple tree was faring. She said none of the leaves have died - in fact, the leaves on the splinted branches were turning fall colors just like the leaves on the rest of the tree! They won't really know till spring if their unorthodox first aid method worked, but so far, so good. :-)

Today is a beauty (unlike most of our weather lately), so we plan to do some outdoor chores and take the girls on a long walk on a section of Sheridan's wonderful Pathways System we haven't explored yet. Fun stuff! Hope you're having fun too! :-)

14 comments:

  1. Such a nice treat from your friends. Enjoy your day while the weather is good. Your girls will love the trails as all dogs do -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have taken your advice, but before we could head out for the trails the wind started blowing like stink! (It was only supposed to be a light breeze!) Plus we're pretty pooped, so we're just going to stick close to home for our walk. Bummer. But the girls don't seem to mind, as long as they get to walk somewhere!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet treat! So, are you abandoning your Seattle posts and moving on to quilts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very! :-) No way, not abandoning - just postponing. Decided that because they're so time-consuming, they'd be an ideal winter project. Hope to resume them next month, so want to get the quilt posts done in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad to hear that the broken branch is hanging in. Wonderful news.
    And I am looking forward to your quilt posts - and will remember this year to wear a bib. There was much drooling last year - putting the keyboard at risk, and destroying any illusions of dignity I might hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was glad to hear that signs are hopeful for the poor maple tree!

      Not sure how bib-worthy this year's quilt show was, but there were at least a few yummy ones, and I'd hate for them to ruin your keyboard or your dignified image. ;-)

      Delete
  4. What adorable little pears! I'm seeing pears popping up on all sorts of blogs. Sadly, I don't have any friends bearing pears... I may have to resort to the grocery store! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised, 'tis the season for pears! Wish I could share this bag full with you, I haven't managed to make anything with them yet and they're quickly getting away from me!

      Delete
  5. Those are some tiny pears! They sound as delicious as they are small, though. Hopefully Jackie's tree makes it. Very hopeful that the leaves turned colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've never seen such wee pears. I don't know if they're from a certain species of pear tree or if they just fell off the tree before they got "normal" sized. But you're right that they're as delicious as they are small! And I agree, Jackie's news about the changing leaf colors was very hopeful!

      Delete
  6. I got home from Cranberry Lodge and found that the two green pears I had left on my counter were quite ripe and yellow - riper than I like them so I'll be making res-pear-ation sauce tonight. How about that. Those wee little pears are so cute!. I'd say I wished they've have come while I was still there but I don't think we could have fit anymore food into my visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These wee pears are getting riper than we'd like awfully fast too, and I wish I felt up to making Res-pear-ation sauce myself today. Maybe later! And I thought of that too, wishing these had shown up during your visit - thought the same thing when BW and I had delicious rice bowls Saturday (a perfect thing for you to make for yourself!), but I agree that we couldn't have fit one more morsel of food into your visit! ("But sir, it's a very THIN mint..." LOL)

      Delete
  7. Hello "insert name"!
    I'm popping in to thank you for your heart warming comment I just found on my blog from a fellow "vegan" blogger that totally made my morning! :)
    Wishing you a happy day!
    Carola
    P.S.: Can't believe the snow storm you already had to experience. It's just so sad about all those poor cracking trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carola! I'll insert "Laloofah," my nom de blogging. :-)
      Thank you for your visit and for letting me know that my comment made your morning, because finding your lovely blog sure made my afternoon! :-)
      We're finally in for a lovely week of Autumn weather - but now without all the pretty foliage colors to enjoy, and are still having to walk our dogs around huge piles of tree limbs. So sad indeed. (But still preferable to the awful wildfires in Australia!)
      I hope to see more of you in the blogosphere (and Pinosphere!)

      Delete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"