My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Jewel Day (in the U.K.)


It's a busy week with little time for blogging, but I did want to share this wonderful photo. Our dear friends in England recently bought a "new" old home in a beautiful setting in the countryside, where they got to enjoy England's big snowfall last month. Among the photos they emailed us of their new home was this one of their 8-year old daughter and 10-year old son strolling down a snowy country lane together. I just adore this photo, so when they called us over New Year's I asked if I could post it on my blog. Along with a good-natured ribbing about being a blogger, I was given permission. (I promised not to reveal their identity or precise location, our friend "Lord T" being a nefarious miscreant with a very shady past, and their move to this new, remote locale necessitated by his entry into the witness protection program). (Haha, Bro, teach you to tease me about my blog! Bloggers can just make stuff up and post it for the world to see, so let that be a lesson to ye!) ;-)~

Anyway, here's the sweet photo, along with a poem I thought went with it perfectly!


A Jewel Day

O Children, wake, for a fairy world
Is waiting for you and me,
with gems aglow on the meadow grass,
And jewels on every tree.

The hedgerows glitter, the dark woods shine
In dresses of sparkling white,
For while we slumbered, the Ice Queen passed
All over the earth last night.
~Lucy Diamond

4 comments:

  1. And I thought "Jewell" day was on my birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Good luck with the impending snow.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I sure Hope "Lord T" reads your blog!!!! That was hilarious! Pretty photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Izzy - your version of "Jewell" day is what day again exactly? ;-)

    Alicia - You're welcome, I'm glad you thought it was beautiful too. I think it would make a perfect holiday card... and as you now know, our big winter storm prediction didn't amount to a hill o'beans!

    AdventureJo - LOL, yes... the infamous "Lord T" has paid a visit to my blog, albeit stealthily! :-) His two kids, the stars of the photo, visited it yesterday and sent me a very cute email about it. They've gotten a lot more snow since that lovely photo was taken... far more snow than we've got! Little Lord and Lady T are still really enjoying it, but Big Lord and Lady T maybe not so much. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"