My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, November 12, 2012

2012 Quilt Show, Part 2

Welcome to Part 2 of Sheridan's 2012 Fiber Arts Show! This post features the rest of the quilts that I thought were most blog-worthy, again with any particularly interesting notes from the quilt's creator or owner italicized in quotes below it (my own notes are not in quotes and not italicized), and my favorites marked with asterisks on either side of the quilt's name. As always, I love to hear if you have a favorite or favorites in the batch!

I found in putting this post together that I had a lot of seasonal quilts in the batch, so I decided to put those in order of... what else... the seasons! Starting, naturally, with Spring, easing on into Summer, then the colors and holidays of Fall and Winter, before ending up at Valentine's Day...

"Tulip Twist"
Technique: Quilted and Appliqué blocks
Artist: Dory Almond
Long-Arm Machine Quilted By: Dory Almond with help from Karen VanHouten

"Flowers and Scallops"
Technique: Whole Cloth and Appliqué
Artist: Lois Wragge
Quilted By: Jennifer Golden

"Flowers and Scallops" detail

"Americana"
Technique: Machine Appliqué
Artist: Georgann Lee
Quilted By: Georgann Lee

"This pattern had no instructions, pattern amounts, or anything! 
Only the appliqué pictures were included - 
making this a darn near original design!"

*"Summer Breeze"*
Technique: Pieced and Appliqué
Artist: Kandi Davis
Quilted By: Kandi Davis

I had a hard time getting the colors to come out accurately on this one 
because of the harsh lighting. The closeup below looks more like the real thing.
I loved the colors and the hint of the nautical in this cheerful quilt!

"Summer Breeze" detail

"Fishies"
Technique: Paper Piecing
Artist: Valeria Finley
Quilted By: Valeria Finley

"My first machine quilting project! My husband is a SCUBA diver, 
and I bought this kit while on vacation in the Florida Keys."

Pineapple Star
Technique: Paper Piecing
Artist: Jackie Waters
Quilted By: Becky Stednitz

"Bellissima"
Technique: Pieced
Artist: Kandi Davis
Quilted By: Two Chicks Quilting

"I made this quilt for the Wyo Theater to raffle at their 2012 gala."

"Over the River and Through the Woods"
Technique: Embroidery and Quilting
Artist: Marcia Suranyi

Click here and here for closeups of this quilt!

*"Let it Snow"*
Technique: Machine Pieced
Artist: Jennifer Golden
Quilted By: The Golden Needle, Jennifer Golden

"This is a variation of the log cabin block called, 
"Not Your Grandmother's Log Cabin."

Left: "Redwork Winter"                 Right: "Heart of the Home"
Technique: Redwork                     Technique: Embroidery
      Artist: Peggy Gable                    Artist: Heather Mortensen

And here are the rest of the quilts I chose to feature, in no particular order...

Birthday Quilt for Trinity Lutheran Church, Sheridan
Artists & Quilters: Various

"Reflections Bargello"
Technique: Machine Pieced
Artist: Marge Hamilton
Quilted By: Laurie Sheeley

"Reflections Bargello" detail

"Star in the Round"
Technique: Paper Pieced
Artist: Marge Hamilton
Quilted By: Laurie Sheeley
Pattern By: Judy Niemeyer

*"Cathedral Window"*
Artist: Myrtle Ingersoll
Owned By: Janet Hoxie

"My mother started this quilt when I was 15, to go on an antique sleigh bed 
she purchased for me from an old family friend. Many of the colorful patches are from scraps from clothing she made for me when I was a child."

"Cathedral Window" detail

This one is a mystery quilt, the only one without an identifying tag. 
So lets make up our own name and story for it, wanna? :-)

*"Fabulous Fractions"*
Technique: Strip Piecing
Artist: Peggy Gable
Teacher: Mary Jane Collins

"Fabulous Fractions" detail

I love the shimmery gold fabric and thread, 
as well as the intriguing design that looks as if it's under water.

Part 3, featuring non-quilt fiber works, is next!
(Click here to visit Part 1)

13 comments:

  1. Amazing work! And so many hours of work into making each and every one of these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are amazing! I especially love the reflections one and the cathedral window. So much work goes into them! I don't know how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh and aaah. I would love to have been there to see this show with you. Mega thanks for the tour you have taken us on.

    I have made small Cathedral Windows to use as pincushions or to hold lavender. I remember it being a very fiddly, cloth consuming technique. And only a few days ago I picked one up and commented that I have no idea how to do it. From memory one starts with an origame fold...

    ReplyDelete
  4. EG CG ~ I know, it's amazing to see all that time and effort manifested so beautifully, in such abundance, all in one place! The library always looks so barren and boring when the quilts come down, echoing how it looks outside when the colorful Autumn leaves are gone from the trees by November.

    Molly ~ I love it when people share their favorites, especially when they surprise me! If I'd had to guess, I'd have chosen "Fishies" and the unnamed mystery quilt as your favorites! I love the Cathedral Window one too, it's a pattern I'd never seen before and I love the cheerful colors. I included the detail of the Reflections Borgello because I thought the overall effect of the quilt looked so different from the fabric detail. I, at least, would never have guessed that quilt, which really does look like reflections, was made up of pieces of that fabric (I love batiks!)

    Ellie C ~ And I also love it when quilters share inside information! :-) Cathedral Windows does look like it would be fiddly and cloth-consuming, now that you mention it! It reminded me slightly of a yo-yo quilt ~ at least, that was the closest quilt pattern I'd ever seen to this one. I love both - but then, I'm not the one having to do all that cloth-consuming fiddling! :-) Good thing, too, as I don't even know how to do origame!

    I wish you could have been with me to see the show too! There's always next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although not a needlewoman myself I do admire the work of others and there are some beautiful quilts amongst this selection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic. And all that hard work! It boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a traditionalist so lean toward traditional designs. The red winter quilt reminds me of all the red work that one can see in the early 1900s -- so this is my favorite of the bunch.-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, thank you for taking me by the hand and pointing out the obviously missed note about the astericks indicating your favorite. I read your comment and had to read it twice to "get it". Just call me "slow Jo"

    So I started back on part 1 and looked to see which were your favorites. I was not suprised by your choices. They were colorful and fun - just like you.

    Now on to Part II.

    I'm delighted to tell you you that "Summer Breeze" was the one that I most wanted to see up close and it is one of my favorites. I love it and it's even prettier up close. I will definitely put that on my list of quilts I'd like to make someday.

    The other one that intrigued me was actually right next to it and was a giant blue ball. Certainly not something I'd necessarily make but it was unusual and I couldn't figure out what it was.

    Now back to the beginning. I liked the seasonal approach to your post. That was very clever.
    I really liked the patriot quilt. I love tall skinny figures and that's what I liked best about it. It was a very unique and original quilt. I really liked it.

    I already mentioned I loved summer breeze. It has so much movement. I don't normally like horizontal row quilts so this is really special. I usually like vertical row quilts better but this one has to be horizontal and it works!

    Bellissima is so soft and pretty, I really like that one. The fabric makes that quilt.

    I've seen the pattern - Over the River and Through the woods. I really like it and I've been working on somthing by the same designer for two years! When Melissa saw it she told me it wouldn't get done until I was Old and then she'd be sure it was still like new when she inherited it! I really liked the closeups and how it showed off the quilting.

    Let it Snow is gorgeous. She used such a pretty pallet of blues!

    I'd like to offer a name suggestion for the Mystery Quilt. It reminds me of a tile floor that would be found in a beautiful italian mansion so how about "Bella Floora"?

    I'm excited that you liked Fabulous Fractions" because that's been a pattern I've admired for some time. Not sure why it really appeals to me but it does. I'm sure the gold fabric helped too for you!

    I wish I had time to comment on them all but lunch is unfortunately over. I see I have other goodies for tomorrow so I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LindyLouMac ~ I'm not one either, and I wonder if that makes us admire this sort of work more, less or just differently than a someone proficient at this craft would?

    Barbara (KY) ~ Thanks for sharing your favorite! I almost didn't post that photo since it's not as colorful or eye-catching as the rest, but decided that an example of Redwork needed to be included!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo (aka "Slow Jo"> ~ :-) You're welcome! And I figured you would not be surprised by my favorites. You probably could have identified them without my asterisks! :-)

    How fun that you love Summer Breeze and that I unwittingly fulfilled your desire to see it up close! I'd be happy to email you the larger, original photos of it if you'd like me to. I was pleased to read that it's a pattern style you're not normally fond of, but is a notable exception! I think the name of it is perfect, really goes with the lovely colors and that sense of movement it evokes.

    I'm still laughing over the "giant blue ball," which as you now know all too well (but I'll explain here in case it might also be puzzling any other visitors to this post), is a sweater on a rather round woman who was studying the Halloween quilt hanging next to Summer Breeze! :-) I was so annoyed when she followed me up the stairs, preventing me from having the mezzanine to myself for my photography (yes, I get territorial even when it's not my territory!), and insinuated herself into that shot, taking FOREVER to move down the row of quilts (the nerve of her, carefully looking at a quilt display!! LOL) But she ended up being one of the best bits in this post, thanks to you! :-)

    I'm glad you enjoyed my "seasonal" approach to the first part of this post ~ figuring out what order to post the photos in is often challenging, so it was nice to have a "theme" to follow. I wasn't that fond of the "Americana" quilt, but included it because of the story that went with it! I thought that was amazing, that she made that with almost no guidance to follow!

    I thought "Bellissima" looked more vintage than most of the truly vintage quilts did! LOL about Missy saying the quilt you've been working on so long won't be done until you're "Old" ~ your emphasis with the capital "O" made me chuckle! I agree about the pallet of blues on "Let it Snow!" Love that one, and I'm not usually a big fan of that much blue in my decor.

    You are so right about the Mystery Quilt - it does look like a mosaic tile floor in an Italian villa! The pattern of it really appealed to me, and I think black, white and red look really sharp together. (Doubt you'll remember this, but our guest room at Maple Top was decorated in those colors, and that quilt would have looked great on that room's canopy bed!)

    It's really fun when you're familiar with some of the names and patterns that show up in my Quilt Show posts! The gold fabric in "Fabulous Fractions" definitely gave it bonus points, but I'd have admired that one even without that shimmer my little beady Magpie eyes are so drawn to. :-) The tag that went with that one said that it was a really fun pattern to do ~ so maybe that's one you'll create yourself someday! I'll go with you and help you pick out the fabrics (I love that part!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, these are gorgeous. The work in them is incredible. I love the colours in The Pineapple Star, but adore the pattern in Let it Snow (I have the kind of mind that likes ordered geometric designs - it probably means I'm a control freak or something). How great that the Cathedral Window uses scraps of clothes - a real piece of family history... but my absolute favouritest favourite is the Fabulous Fractions - it looks like a painting by Monet - just jaw droppingly amazing.

    Now as for the mystery quilt, it was obviously inspired by a roman mosaic unearthed at Fishbourne Roman Palace (http://sussexpast.co.uk/properties-to-discover/fishbourne-roman-palace), the floor was named Incontanentia in memory of the beloved wife of the owner of the palace, one Gluteus Maximus. Incontanentia was sadly killed in a devastating eruption from the local cesspit... (I have a tear in my eye as I type),

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look, it reminded me of a Roman floor ok? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara ~ I'm totally with you re: orderly geometric patterns like in "Let it Snow," but I think you and I both cut loose with our love of "Fabulous Fractions!" :-) That does have a Monet look to it now that you mention it, and he's a favorite of mine! (I have one of his prints hanging above my computer, in fact - am gazing at it now!)

    Did you read Jo's comment? She too thought it looked like an Italian tile floor! And now you've provided a compelling and tragic story to go with it. Poor Incontanentia, what a shitty way to go. I remember learning about Gluteus Maximus - he was an ass. :-)

    Fishbourne Roman Palace looks like a fun place to visit! I want to learn to make a mosaic and go on their ghost walks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"