Friday, November 23, 2012
SkyWatch Friday: Special Delivery
My husband is a UPS man, and since our house is on his route he stops by on his afternoon break to change his socks, refill his water bottle, grab a freshly baked muffin, or whatever - and to say hi! :-) On Tuesday afternoon when I heard his truck pull up I opened the front door to greet him and saw this ominous but intriguing cloud across the way...
Clouds on clouds, in volumes driven...
~ Thomas Love Peacock~
Clear and cloudy, at sunrise and sunset, by sunlight and moonlight,
the magnificent skies of the world are just a click away at...
- INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
- MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
- MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
- ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
- QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
- THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
- THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
- THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
- THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.
~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"