My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Friday, February 22, 2013

SkyWatch Friday: The Misty Mountains Cold

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To dungeons deep and caverns old,
We must away, ere break of day,
To seek our pale enchanted gold...
~ from "Over the Misty Mountains Coldby J.R.R. Tolkien


I had another post all ready to go for this week's SkyWatch Friday, but when I returned home from a walk with the dogs late yesterday afternoon and saw this view from my front porch, I grabbed my camera and telephoto lens and snapped away. Given that my bare fingers quickly froze, I've used my telephoto lens only twice before, and I was shooting almost blindly into the bright glare of the sinking sun, I didn't expect much. But after downloading the results, I immediately scrapped my planned post in favor of this one. These photos really captured yesterday's cold and misty look of our Big Horn Mountains. 

I recommend playing the above video for great mood music to accompany them (for an entirely different mood, check out the rockin' guitar cover)...




Though annoyed at first by the presence of the chain link fence that surrounds the school playground across the street, I decided that, like the bare trees, it adds an element of texture, depth and even beauty to the photo. (I could do without the street lights, however!)...

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,
To blogs quite new and blogs of old,
We must away, ere break of day,
To view skies of blue and red and gold...
:-)

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful captures here. You sure do have a beautiful view of the mountains. Have a great week. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow and more wow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the pristine white color. You do have a beautiful view of the mountains. :)

    Nisha - Le Monde-A Poetic Travail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely view of the mountain, the layer of clouds looks pretty. I hope you have a happy weekend. PS, the Jungle Book use to be one of my favorite movies to watch with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what beautiful misty mountains! I would just adore to have a view like that. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such drama in the sky! Love all your captures. And did you change your blog background?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous sky! I can almost feel the cool, crisp air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. Number one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so much of the feeling of your cold day. Almost could be an Arctic photo. Liked that you left the fence in -- it adds a feeling of remoteness. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply stunning and sooooo evocative. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super job, TW! Stunning and eerie at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful skies and scenery on high altitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, everyone~ ~ As always, i appreciate your comments and am happy that you enjoyed these views of our misty mountains. :-)

    eileeninmd ~ It was always a favorite of mine as a kid, and I bought the DVD in my 40s. :-)

    Jesh ~ Yes I did - changed my background and my blog header earlier this month. Thanks for noticing!

    Andrea ~ I am especially fond of that one too, probably because it's the only one with no sign of human activity. :-)

    Barbara ~ Almost felt like I was snapping Arctic photos! I like your impression from the photo with the fence in it.

    Spud ~ Thanks! I thought it was eerie looking as well. I always loved it when we lived up there and the freezing fog would settle in over us, but it's fun to be able to look up and see it from our new perspective, too.

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"