My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

And after the fog, the flocking


I know winter has worn out its welcome (if it ever was welcome, lol) for most people, especially those living in places that have really been pummeled by it lately! I'll feel that way too eventually, but I'm not weary of it just yet. Since we get snow as soon as early September and as late as mid-June, I figure it behooves me to be on friendly terms with our frosty, long-term visitor! :-) I thought my walk with the dogs yesterday was especially beautiful ~ the weekend of freezing fog and snow had flocked everything, and the deep blue sky and bright sunlight made it all so dazzling! And so here are a few more wintery photos from my walk yesterday, along with some more favorite quotes from my endless stash...

A Quaking Aspen, one of my favorite trees,
a real beauty at any time of year!

I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow
to keep an appointment with a beech-tree,
or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Same aspen, different angle...

Trees are the earth's endless effort
to speak to the listening heaven.
~ Rabindranath Tagore, "Fireflies," 1928

A friendly little grove of aspen, chokecherries and box elders,
nestled against a dark backdrop of pine and fir trees...


If you would know strength and patience,
welcome the company of trees.
~Hal Borland


The countryside is lovely now,
Each branch and twig is feathered white.
Each bush and shrub wears blooms of light...
~author unknown

Even the icicles were flocked!

Whether the eave-drops fall
heard only in the trances of the blast,
or if the secret ministry of frost
shall hang them up in silent icicles...
~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge, "Frost at Midnight"

7 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them. :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alicia! Being in one of the winter-pummeled places, it's admirable that you can still see beauty in winter scenery! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalo,

    It is snowing here again. We are expecting another foot of snow tonight. They have already told Dan's office to work from home tomorrow.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...so sorry, I had two comment windows open...this is so embarassing...I meant to say:

    Your photos are lovely and that you live in a very beautiful place..."says she as she slinks away in embarassment."

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - no problem, Rose - happens to all of us from time to time! No slinking away necessary. This multi-tasking world of ours is fraught with such perils. ;-) I hope you don't mind, I deleted your unintended post... though I must say - soup with two kinds of potatoes plus kale and cabbage? That got my attention! Pray, tell us more! Feel free to post a link to that recipe here - soup goes well with wintery days, it's not a completely unrelated topic! :-)

    (By the way, you should be able to delete your own post(s) if you need to by clicking on the little trash can icon just beneath it. (If you don't see a trash can icon beneath each comment, let me know. I've had to delete a boo-boo'ed post or two of my own on other people's blogs that way, so I don't think those trash cans only show up for the blog owner.)

    And thank you for your compliments! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laloofah,

    I'm so sorry about that, and thanks for deleting it. I had no idea we could delete our comments, that's good to know.

    I was reading Meatless Mama's Kale and Potato soup post, then read your post, when I went to type the comments in, I had the wrong comment box open. I'm a blogging disaster.

    If you're interested in the Kale Potato soup, the link is here:

    http://www.meatlessmama.com/2010/02/two-potato-kale-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Rose!
    Thanks for sharing the link to the recipe! I had never visited her blog before. As soon as I can get my mitts on organic russet potatoes, I plan to make an oil-free version of this. So see, you're not a blogging disaster - your blunder was a blessing, because if you'd just left the comment you'd intended to leave, I would never have known about this new soup recipe or visited her blog! :-) (I noticed she became a Mountain Rose Herbs affiliate around the same time I did... we clearly share a high regard for that company and its products. Pity they don't sell organic russet potatoes, or pay you royalties for the use of your name!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"