My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


Peace of the Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound,
In fear of what my life and my children's life may be,
I go and lie down
where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water
and the great heron feeds,
I come into the peace of the wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
I come into the presence of still water,
And I feel above me the day-blind stars,
waiting with their light.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world,
and am free.

~Wendell Berry


Nature and animals have been the loves of my life as long as I can remember, and Earth Day has been a big deal to me since I was 8 years old ~ the year of the first Earth Day ~ when I did a science fair project about water, air and land pollution. While I, like many, do my best to live mindfully and celebrate Nature, the Earth, and our fellow Earthlings of all species each and every day, I feel a special thrum of energy on Earth Day. Maybe because it feels like more of us are becoming conscious on this day of the personal and far-reaching consequences of our choices and behaviors, and more inspired and dedicated to shifting our actions and attitudes toward more mindfulness, more gentleness, more simplicity, more compassion.

As special as this day is to me and as much as I wanted to share about it in a post, my computer and my life had other ideas. I wasn't satisfied with the state of the post I'd been trying to work on, so instead I decided to keep it simple by sharing this beautiful poem and favorite graphic. Given that I'll have far less time (and possibly no relief from my computer issues) as Spring turns to Summer, I plan to keep my blog from going dormant by doing more such simple posts as time permits: a thoughtful quote, a lovely poem, a favorite story, an appropriate image, an occasional cartoon ~ plucked from my vast and beloved collection. :-) And I won't wait till the 41st Earth Day to share some of the thoughts I wasn't able to publish today. In fact, I have big plans for Arbor Day, so here's hoping the gremlins take a vacation between now and then! ;-)

Meanwhile, may you enjoy a beautiful, compassionate, meaningful and inspired Earth Day! I'm going to listen to Jennifer Berezan's glorious Praises for the World and then head outside to commune with the sunshine, the Earth, and the "wild things!" :-)


6 comments:

  1. Happy Earth Day to you too! I hope all is well with your family. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Earth Day Laloofah,

    Thanks for sharing your sentiments.

    I also wanted to ask whether you knew who authored the quote from the Govegan.com/Prairie Sanctuary site?
    It's very powerful and puts into words how I feel about all life. I was hoping to post it on my blog too, but wanted to credit the quote to someone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem! I've been the same lately- having a hard time posting and after a while, I've become okay with having simpler posts. After all, you need to enjoy it and not have it feel like a chore, right? :)

    Happy Earth Day to you, Laurie! I hope you and the gang have a wonderful day & weekend! I'll be emailing you back soon, once life gives me a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali - thank you! We're having to juggle a lot of stuff all at once, which we don't like and aren't especially good at! :-) I hope you, Dan and the feline gang are all doing spiffily! :-)

    Rose - the author of those eloquent words is Joanna Lucas, who does a lot of the writing for Peaceful Prairie's web site and blog. You can find the quote with attribution here, and she also says it at the end of "The Faces of 'Free-Range' Farming" video she narrates. That quote would be brilliant on your blog. Have you seen some of the other GoVeganNow images? I think the "55 billion reasons" ones are especially moving.

    Molly - I'm glad you enjoyed that poem too, I just love it. Wish I could write like that!
    You're so right about blogging needing to be enjoyable and not a chore. I'm glad this isn't a paid gig - how do cartoonists and columnists churn out stuff regularly, on a schedule with deadlines? Ack! I'm happy to be an unpaid amateur who can just do this (or not!) when I feel creative or playful, Blogger AND my computer are working, and - as you say - life gives me a few minutes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laloofah,

    I did look through the images/info on govegan.com...moving and some totally heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't agree with you more, Rose!

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"