My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Tree Party (Part Two)


Welcome to Part Two of my Arbor Day tribute to trees in words and pictures...

Trees are much like human beings
and enjoy each other's company.
Only a few love to be alone.
~Jens Jensen, "Siftings," 1939~

Lone Pine
Near my house in Wyoming
~photo by Laloofah (who relates to the loners), April 2010~



The forests are the flags of nature.
They appeal to all and awaken inspiring universal feelings.
Enter the forest
and the boundaries of nations are forgotten.
It may be that some time an immortal pine
will be the flag of a united peaceful world.
~Enos A. Mills~

~artist unknown~

Happiness is sharing a bowl of cherries
and a book of poetry with a shade tree.
He doesn't eat much and doesn't read much,
but listens well and is a most gracious host.
~Astrid Alauda~

~artist unknown~

Trees are the best monuments
that a man can erect to his own memory.
They speak his praises without flattery,
and they are blessings to children yet unborn.
~Lord Orrery, 1749~

Gingko Biloba tree, Luther Burbank Gardens
Santa Rosa, CA
~photo by Laloofah, Oct 2007~


Us sing and dance,
make faces and give flower bouquets,
trying to be loved.
You ever notice that trees
do everything to git attention we do,
except walk?
~Alice Walker, "The Color Purple"~

Japanese Maple and evergreens
Santa Rosa, CA
~Photo by Laloofah, Oct 2007~


If a man walks in the woods for love of them
half of each day,
he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer.
But if he spends his days as a speculator,
shearing off those woods
and making the earth bald before her time,
he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.
~Henry David Thoreau~

~photographer unknown~

Every creature is better alive than dead,
men and moose and pine trees,
and he who understands it aright
will rather preserve its life than destroy it.
~Henry David Thoreau, The Maine Woods, 1848~



Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~Kahlil Gibran~

Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve
Sonoma County, CA
~Photo by Laloofah, Oct 2007~


Alone with myself
The trees bend
to caress me
The shade hugs
my heart.
~Candy Polgar~

Log bench in the shade of an oak tree
Santa Barbara, CA
~photographer unknown~


Plant trees.
They give us two of the most crucial elements for our survival:
oxygen and books.
~A. Whitney Brown~

~artist unknown~

The wrongs done to trees, wrongs of every sort,
are done in the darkness of ignorance and unbelief,
for when the light comes,
the heart of the people is always right.
~John Muir~

"Tree of Life," North Devon England
~photographer unknown~

For more beautiful tree photos, click here. Most of the pictures that are not my own I found there. Unfortunately, no attributions are given, and despite multiple web searches, I could not find who the photographers were. If you know who took any of these unattributed photos, please let me know!

I'd enjoy hearing which quotes or photos you liked best, if you have a favorite tree quote to share, or if there's a particular tree you love most. (I adore all trees, but am especially in love with the Sugar Maple, Quaking Aspen, Weeping Birch, Mountain Ash, Colorado Blue Spruce, and every tree that flowers). :-)

And please stop by for some tree-related fun on my final Arbor Day post tomorrow! :-)

11 comments:

  1. Your redwood picture is fabulous! Thanks for the reminder to look up when I have my camera in the woods. I am enjoying your "tree series" of posts.

    I hope you are having a good morning!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog today was a wonderful lunch break - just like a stroll through the woods. Picking the favorite tree photo was easy. It's the oak tree by the log bench. That tree looks to me like it's putting it's arm around the people on the bench - like it's just waiting to offer a hug. I want to sit on it and be hugged.

    Thanks for the calming short break to my day. Just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to trees. Fantastic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali ~ Thanks for the compliment on my Redwoods photo! That one is my best tree photo ever, I think, though taking it was hell on my neck. LOL I could have stayed in those wonderful woods for days, and was chastised for being late back to the bus. It was worth the scolding I got to linger there. (Since when is 20 minutes enough time to spend in an old growth Redwood forest, anyway?!)

    Jo ~ What a lovely comment, and how gratified I am to hear my post gave you that calming "stroll-through-the-woods" effect during your lunch break! :-) And thank you for sharing which picture was your favorite! Isn't that oak tree photo wonderful? And you are so right - it does look like the tree is waiting to put her arm around anyone who sits on the bench! Sweet! I want to sit there beside you and get an oak-tree hug too. :-)

    Blessedmama ~ Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the tree pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only just got the play on words today: Tree Party (sounds like Tea Party)...very clever, I like it.

    Again, wonderful pictures and quotes. I am especially moved by Thoreau's words, and all the trees are beautiful, but I have to say the lone pine near your home is particularly charming.

    As a child, I was an avid tree climber, (and still known to do it from time to time). We had a Silver Birch in our backyard that I used to climb up and spend hours sitting on her branches talking and singing and spying on the neighbor's garden (hehe)...I always considered this Birch my special friend. I named her Birca...not very creative I know, but because of her, I have a to include Birches as some of my favorite trees.

    Will you be planting trees tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose - Sometimes I find coming up with a post title the hardest part of blogging, so I was pretty tickled with myself for the "tree party" pun. ;-) Thanks for catching it and finding it clever. Glad you liked it!

    And I'm really pleased you were especially fond of my Lone Pine photo! I just took that one earlier this week while on a "wildflower safari" (gathering photos for a future post!) with the dogs. I've always liked that lone sentinel, but this time when I stopped to say hi I thought, "Hey, that would make a perfect photo to go with that quote!" Having a blog on the brain can change one's perspective. LOL

    A fellow tree-climber, yay! It hasn't been too terribly long ago that I climbed a tree either. ;-) I love your story of your friend Birca (and chuckled at your "spying on the neighbor's garden" - judging from your own current garden, apparently you picked up some good intel!) ;-) Birches are wonderful trees and a favorite of mine as well. Did you know their Sanskrit name is bhrag, which means "light?" A little tidbit I picked up from one of my tree books. :-)

    I won't be planting trees tomorrow - I'll be shoveling snow instead! >:-( Supposed to get a few inches of wet, slushy snow and high winds. Yuk! Unlike most of the other plant life around here, our Ash tree wasn't fooled by all the balmy weather we've had... her leaf buds are still snug in their winter coats! Smart girl... she's always the last to leaf out, and always gets voted "Least Likely to Get Hosed by Wyoming's Spring Weather." ;-) How about you, will you be planting any trees? In lieu of planting, we made a donation to a wonderful tree-planting organization you can read about in tomorrow's post (assuming the weather doesn't knock me offline, the perils of a satellite internet connection!)

    Thanks for your wonderful comment, Rose! Have a lovely Arbor Day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about blog titles...I usually just opt for uncreative obvious ones.

    Snow still? You guys in Wyoming really must be good troopers...including your clever Ash tree.

    I wasn't planning on planting any trees...we are renters here.

    I wish you a Happy Arbor Day too! Do you remember that Charlie Brown animated special where Sally thinks that Arbor Day is when all the boats come into the "(H)arbor"? I'm not sure which one that is ...but Arbor Day always reminds me of that too.

    Looking forward to tomorrow's post as well as the wild flower safari!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to ammend something in my last comment...when I said I wasn't planning on planting because we are renters, I guess I was just feeling uncomfortable doing something that permanent...but I thought about it afterwards and thought...that's one of the lovely things about planting trees...it is for those who come after you as much as anyone else...I don't want to seem mean...hope you understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Arbor Day, Rose! :-)

    I don't remember that Charlie Brown episode, but I love your description of it, and must share it with BW tonight! He loves anything with boats and harbors in it. :-)

    Our weather is just vile today... 21º, snowing hard and blowing like stink! It's amazing how hardy and resilient the native plants here are, and how heavily I sigh covetously when I look at garden catalogs and see all those lovely Zone 4,5, and 6 plants I'd love to have around the house (much as I love our native species!)

    Rose, if you gave it your best effort, you couldn't sound mean, ever. :-) I understand that renting, for various reasons, can put a kibosh on planting trees. But as you say, it would benefit future dwellers in your current home, as well as birds and other critters. Birches only live about 80 years, that's not as permanent as many species... maybe you need a new Birch friend in your yard, if you landlord is agreeable? :-) (Then again, I imagine every yard in Seattle having an abundance of trees already!)

    However you celebrate it, I wish you a beautiful Arbor (or (H)arbor!) Day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, TW! You know how I love trees, too ;-). We just planted a chokecherry last week. You have one as well, right? Trust you're doing well ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Spuddles! Glad you enjoyed my tree tribute! Yes, I know you're a fan of trees as well. :-) Fun that you planted a chokecherry last week! We have a ton of those here (I've made chokecherry syrup and former neighbors made chokecherry vodka one year!), but only one of them was planted by us. The rest were planted by Mother Nature. :-) They are so hardy... we were sure the fire had killed most of them; they were crispy critters, not a speck of green left on them. But they came roaring back the next spring! The deer munch them, the bugs go after them, the late freezes coat their tender buds in ice and snow... but they just shrug it off! The chokecherries, hawthorns, three-leaf sumacs and wild roses are our most prolific and resilient native plants around our house, I think. And aren't the chokecherry pretty when they flower?

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"