My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Tree Party (Part One)


I love trees (big surprise!), so in honor of Arbor Day on Friday, I wanted to share some of my favorite tree pictures, quotes and links in a post. But working on it made me realize my love of trees has resulted in a collection of favorite tree pictures, quotes and links that's just too big for one post! So... what the hemlock, I'll just make it a tree-part post. ;-) Here, then, is part one of my three-part Arbor Day salute to trees in words and pictures. And though you've probably already guessed it...


(And bless their hearts, they hug me back!)

~~~~~

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.
~Chinese proverb~

Kentucky Dogwoods in bloom
~photographer unknown~


Tree at my window, window tree,
My sash is lowered when night comes on;
But let there never be curtain drawn
Between you and me.
~Robert Frost~

A Western Tanager in the Ash tree outside my window!
I planted this tree when it was an 18" stick,
and now it's taller than our house!
~Photo by Laloofah~


A society grows great when old men plant trees
whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
~Greek Proverb~

Live Oaks, Oak Alley Plantation, Vacherie, Louisiana
~photographer unknown~


I never before knew the full value of trees...
under them I breakfast, dine, write, read,
and receive my company.
~Thomas Jefferson, 1793~

Gnarled tree root (a perfect spot to sit & rest on the trail)
Chautauqua State Park, Boulder, CO
~Photo by Laloofah, July 2009~


Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces,
I would still plant my apple tree.
~Martin Luther~

Apple Orchards in Spring, Trees in Bloom
~Photo by Chris Sharp~


He that plants trees loves others besides himself.
~Thomas Fuller~

Mango grove
near Nosara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
~Photo by Laloofah, April 2004~


When the trees sing,
It doesn't really matter
If you know the song,
Or if you know the words,
Or even if you know the tune.
What really matters is knowing
That the trees are singing at all.
~Mattie Stepanek~

Red maple in Autumn
near Beckley, West Virginia
~photographer unknown~


The cultivation of trees is the cultivation of the good,
the beautiful, and the ennobling in man,
and for one, I wish to see it become universal.
~Julius Sterling Morton, founder of Arbor Day~

Palm trees at sunset
Coronado, CA
~Photo by Laloofah, March 2003~


Give me a land of boughs in leaf,
A land of trees that stand;
Where trees are fallen there is grief;
I love no leafless land.
~A.E. Housman~

Monteverde Cloudforest, Costa Rica
~Photo by Laloofah, April 2004~


Until you dig a hole, you plant a tree,
you water it and make it survive, you haven't done a thing.
You are just talking.
~Wangari Muta Maathai, activist and Nobel laureate

Wangari Maathai at a tree-planting ceremony in Japan
~AP photo~
(I've no idea who her jolly green friends are!) :-)



For more beautiful tree photos, click here. Most of the pictures that are not my own I found there. Unfortunately, no attributions are given, and despite multiple web searches, I could not find who the photographers were. If you know who took any of these unattributed photos, please let me know!

Stay tuned for A Tree Party, Part Two tomorrow! :-)

6 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures and a nice post. I love things like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees are awesome! All of the leaves are coming out now around here and I just love it. It's finally getting green again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hug trees too; I think of them as long-lived fellow earth dwellers, who are harbors of the earth's energy and collectors of history.

    Your photos are beautiful, thanks for sharing the inspirational quotes. My favorites of the photos here are the oaks, the apple orchard, and the dogwoods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali, Molly and Rose! Thanks for stopping by my Tree Party! :-)

    Thank you and you're welcome, Ali! :-) I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope you'll enjoy Parts 2 and 3 as much if not more, and that they'll leaf you feeling peaceful. ;-)

    Molly, isn't it exciting to see the trees leaf out again? They're still bare up here around our place, but most of them are budding and leafing out in town. Can't wait for the crabapple trees (and the lilacs, many of which are as big as trees) to bloom!

    Rose, I love how you think of trees (and agree), and appreciate your sharing which photos were your favorites! I was hoping folks would let me know which quotes and/or photos they liked best. My favorite photo is the Red Maple in Autumn (I'm a sucker for fall foliage), followed closely by the dogwoods and live oaks. And I admit I love my Monteverde Cloudforest photo, but that's because of the magical memories I have of hiking through the rainforest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed all the quotes and photos...hiking in Costa Rica must have been a truly wonderful experience; I imagine it to be a place full of natural beauty and gentle people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose - oh my yes, hiking through the cloudforest, around the Vulcan Arenal volcano (followed by a lovely soak in the Ecotermales hot springs!), and exploring the La Paz Waterfall/Butterfly Gardens was really incredible. (My only disappointment was not seeing any tree frogs!) Costa Rica is beautiful, varied, and warm-hearted... everyone greets you with a big smile and friendly, "!Pura vida!" :-)

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"