My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My go-to hummus


We're fiends for dips and spreads, and hummus ~ one of our favorites ~ is practically a staple in our house. We've made, bought and sampled lots of varieties of it over the years (never been to a veg potluck that didn't feature several different delicious versions of hummus and tabouli), I've never met a vegan hummus I didn't love, and I always enjoy trying new hummus recipes. But for many years, this has been the one we make the most.

A few times I've made this for someone who has never tried hummus (in my campaign to end this abomination!), and when they first see it they often wrinkle their nose and say, "Eww, I'm not eating that." But then they usually don't say anything else for a while because their mouth is full, and when they do finally speak again, it's almost always to say, "Is there any more of this?" :-) The recipe I'm sharing here is for a single batch, but I've learned over the years to always double it!


Hummus

1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained - SAVE LIQUID! - and rinsed
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 TBSP tahini (we much prefer roasted tahini in this, not raw)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup broth (more or less) from chickpeas
Parsley and/or dill weed to taste (fresh is best, but dried is okay)

Process all ingredients in a blender or food processor until very smooth and creamy. Add a little more garbanzo juice if necessary. Use as a spread or dip.

Yields 2 cups.

My notes: I got this recipe from the local Seventh Day Adventist booth at a health fair years ago. I reduced the tahini (by about half... I use 2 1/2 TBSP, the original recipe called for 1/4 cup), and the salt by half (1/2 tsp instead of the original 1 tsp). Most hummus recipes call for oil, but I've had no trouble leaving it out. Tahini is high in fat, which is why I reduce it, but adds a flavor to the hummus we really like. (If you don't like the taste of tahini, there are lots of hummus recipes that don't use it). To reduce the fat content even further, pour the oil off the top when you first open a new jar.

I use fresh parsley and dill whenever possible, but dried works fine in a pinch. You can use either herb, or both (which is what I do!). We like a lot of fresh parsley in ours.


In other news... Spring is beginning to come out of hiding here, though she has yet to fully reveal herself. The bluebirds are everywhere now (a beautiful male kept me company outside my kitchen window while I washed dishes this morning!), I saw our first little blooming wildflowers on a hike yesterday, and our jonquils, grape hyacinths and tulips have finally poked their tentative noses a brave two inches above the soil! Whoo-hoo!


And we had our first thunderstorm last night! It was very strange... it had been a very cool, overcast day - hardly thunderstorm weather. Only showers were predicted for last night, but suddenly around 9pm, BAM! Huge clap of thunder, followed by many more along with a lot of lightning right overhead. Then came the rain... then the hail... then the snow! So we're not out of the wintery woods quite yet, but at least we can now truly believe that...


4 comments:

  1. Lalo,

    We are fiends for dips and spreads too. I love the green color of your hummus!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ali... it's the copious amount of fresh parsley I put in it that tints it that green color! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummus is delicious! I love how hesitant people are before trying stuff like this, then how they adore it after giving it a shot. I just got one of my co-workers to try tofu for the first time a few days ago and she really liked it. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly - I don't think I've met anyone who didn't love hummus once they tried it. (I'm planning to try a new sun dried tomato hummus recipe this weekend!)

    Good for you, enticing your co-worker to try some tofu! How had you prepared it? And good for her for trying it (and liking it!) I once brought a Creamy Chocolate Marble Pie (a frozen concoction from Louise Hagler's Tofu Quick & Easy) to a non-veg potluck for a gathering of local musicians, and watched in amusement while a local attorney, a bearded giant of a man who plays the bagpipes, ate a piece while talking to a fellow musician. After the first couple of bites he stopped talking, looked down at his plate, and then said to his companion, "This is really good!" and then to the crowd at large in his booming voice, "Who made this pie?" I said, "I did." So he did what I was so hoping he would do... he asked me what was in it! So I listed the ingredients... standard stuff like cocoa, vanilla, sugar... leaving "and tofu" for last. As I'd suspected, his eyes got big on the word tofu. And then he said, "Well, I never thought I'd ever eat tofu, but this is delicious. Would you give my wife the recipe?" Which I did, to the tune of, "Another One Bites the Dust." LOL

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"