My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wildflower Garden


Before I post photos of Dragonfly Cottage's interior, local explorations or this year's quilt show, I wanted to share some closeups I've been taking of the flowers in the wildflower garden right in front of our cottage. Although it's one of the common areas for this new Pocket Neighborhood, it stands in for our front yard. Because Dragonfly Cottage has no front yard - just some mostly nekkid (so far) flowerbeds on either side of the front porch. Because of its very close proximity to our front steps (about 18 inches), and the fact that watering it became my responsibility when we moved in, I feel a stronger sense of possessiveness toward it than I probably should. (But when passers-by often call out, "I love your wildflower garden!" I can't help replying with a proprietary "Thank you!") :-)


I'm still getting to know a few of the late summer/fall flowers in it, though there are several familiar faces (like wild sunflowers and Gaillardia) to make me feel right at home. Here are a few of my favorite blooms so far, many of which are still going strong despite Halloween being only a week away!


You'd think, from all the photos I've taken of them, that most of the flowers in the Wildflower Garden are poppies. But they really represent a small minority - they've just been the most dazzling and my favorites! Check these beauties out in all their diversely-colored glory...






Most of the flowers at this time of year are yellow ones. I don't know this one's name yet, but love its cheerful face...


Sweet little Bachelor Buttons...


A neon fuschia-colored charmer (anyone know what it is?)...


Another cheerful yellow flower I haven't been able to identify. A member of the sunflower or daisy family, perhaps?...


Although it's not in the Wildflower Garden, since no cottage is complete without at least one Hollyhock growing beside it I had to include this photo of ours. :-) I'm glad I got this photo when I did, because we had a hard frost that night that pretty much obliterated the blooms...


I'll be sharing more flowery eye-candy photos soon, from my neighborhood walks and bike rides as well as from some of the stunning floral quilts in this year's exhibition. What fun! :-)

In unrelated news ~ Though I don't really follow baseball, I do try to watch the World Series. Though generally a Red Sox and Rockies fan with no personal connection to St. Louis or Missouri, I'm enthusiastically cheering on the Cardinals because of their manager Tony LaRussa and his lovely wife Elaine. Click here to read why! And Go, Cardinals! :-)

(I can't see Cardinals - the birds or the sports teams - without thinking of you, Spudly!) ;-)

11 comments:

  1. How cool that you have a wildflower garden in front of your house, so you won't miss the mountain flowers quite so much!

    What color on those poppies. They're beautiful; I love the way their petals look like tissue paper. Hollyhock is one of my favorite flowers; no cottage would be complete without some around.

    The first yellow flower is coreopsis, and the fuscia one looks like phlox, but they usually flower in bunches, so I'm not 100% on that, but looks like a phlox flower anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky to have the wildflower garden at your doorstep. I think it makes a big difference in your attitude when you are welcomed home by beauty. (And happy dogs, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so pretty! You're so lucky to have that garden in front of your house, too. I would love that! The poppies are my favorites, although they're all beautiful. I wish flowers were still blooming here! Everything is looking very dead...:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. We have planted coreopis, hollyhock and poppies in our garden so hopefully will be able to share them with you later. In the meantime when they are in the future I am so grateful you shared yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose ~ I agree that we're lucky to have a wildflower patch out front, and wonder what flowers will bloom there come spring. I'm hoping lupine and shooting stars will be among them, and wish there were bergamot out there in late summer. I think Paul (our landlord) scattered some commercial mixed wildflower seed, and he plans to do more in the spring, so maybe I'll get to help choose the next batch! :-) But I love these - and along with you, love the poppies best. They really do look like they're made of fancy tissue paper.

    Hollyhocks around a cottage are a MUST! I think there's a rule somewhere about that. ;-) And if we buy this place, hydrangeas and irises are definitely in its future, among other things! Except for the trees (mostly juniper and poplars), this place is a pretty blank slate for landscaping.

    Thanks for identifying the coreopsis for me! I agree that the bright fuschia flower looks like a phlox, but it's over 1" in diameter, and grows a single flower at the top of a tall, skinny stem with lots of little, kind of pointy leaves growing all over it. Not like any phlox I can remember seeing, but maybe it's a variety I'm unfamiliar with. I couldn't find it on any of my wildflower guides.

    Andrea ~ I agree! It's such a friendly little house, and the wildflowers make it 200% friendlier! Definitely a house that gives me a welcoming hugged feeling whenever I come home to it.

    Molly ~ I think it would be nearly impossible for the poppies to NOT be the favorite, they're so gorgeous! And I know you'd love this wildflower patch, since you've pretty much grown one of your own - I really enjoyed your photos from it, and hope to catch up with your blog soon because I know I've been missing lots of fun photos, including perhaps your end-of-season flower photos! I'm sorry they're all dead or dormant now, that's always a sad transition. Did/are you at least enjoy(ing) some beautiful fall colors there? I've been photographing the autumn leaves on some of our walks and can't wait to get a chance to post them, along with a bazillion other photos I've been taking! :-)

    veganelder ~ And such pretty poems they are.

    Ellie's C ~ How fun! Can't wait to see yours, you have such a green thumb! I'm glad you're enjoying "mine" till yours start blooming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that the wildflower garden was in the common area and not your front yard. Well, it's the same in the end since you obviously will get the most pleasure from it and do the most work in it so I say it is yours. And when really big work needs to be done to it, you have the advantage of calling in the neighbors to help which you wouldn't otherwise really have a right to do.

    My favorite of your flowers are the bachelor buttons since blues and purples are always my favorite with the cheerfully faced yellow one as my second favorite since yellow is another flower color I really love. And of course, nothing is prettier than when you have the two together.

    I did read through the article on Elain and Tony and I can see why they have your fan support. That is a really wonderful thing they are doing and good for you for spreading the word. Of course everyone here would rather you be linking us to a heartwarming story about the Tigers but that is not to be. I understand that your Red Sox had a very big losing streak after a very great start so I won't be bringing that up in conversation with my family!

    It's good to have you back and I've still got several fun posts to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taterwad! What a beautiful wildflower garden! Maybe the best I've ever seen...'course, I play favorites once in a while. And there ya go...getting me all misty-eyed with the Cardinals again...you're the best. Hey, I'm pullin' for them as well. xoxo- Spud

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo ~ I know, I think everyone who walks by thinks it IS our front yard! :-)

    I knew you loved yellow, but didn't know about the blue and purple. For a few years as a kid, my bedroom was all decorated in blue and yellow. I love that combination too.

    Thanks for taking the time to read the neat article about Elaine and Tony! I was rooting for the Tigers too, and was disappointed when they lost the championship. Seemed to take the wind out of the Lions' sails, since they went from undefeated to losing 2 in a row right afterward. But Detroit can be proud of both teams. Bummer about the Red Sox, I'm starting to believe that the legend of Bambino's Curse might be real! OoooOOOOoooo.... (spooky noises) LOL

    I'm hoping to get a new post put together today and also answer your last two emails! (I'm ambitious!) :-)

    Spudly ~ Well, thank you! I can't wait to get photos of it in the spring, too. Glad (and not surprised) to hear you're cheering on the Cardinals! I really wanted to share that story about the LaRussas (though I don't think any of my vegan followers have read it!), but guess I shouldn't have mentioned the Cardinals in my blog since they've had two very disappointing games since I did! (What's up with stranding all those runners last night?) But hopefully they'll turn things back around now that they're heading home to St. Louie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you've landed in Munchkinland. Everything around you is so beautiful. Do watch for houses falling from the sky LOL.
    Glad you're settling and continue to take all that credit for the wildflowers. Why not!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue ~ "Munchkinland" - LOL! That's a good description! I'll be mindful of falling houses, and wicked witches on bicycles. ;-) We are still surrounded by beauty here, though of a very different nature than at the old place. Can't wait to share some posts with photos from our "walkabouts!"

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"