My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, January 28, 2013

Turmeric Tea

Okay, show of hands - how many of you wrinkled your nose when you saw this post's title? Well, at least you still clicked on it, you intrepid adventurers you. :-) If it's any consolation, I wrinkled my nose too (and curled my lip, I think) when my neighbor Carol asked me a couple weeks ago if I've ever had turmeric tea. She had just made it for the first time that day and was nearly dancing in the street with enthusiasm over it. When she saw my expression and heard my dripping-with-dubiousness "Uh, nooooo" reply, she asked, "Don't you like turmeric?" "Yes," I answered, "in curries!" And in other savory dishes and to add a lovely hue to my tofu scrambles, of course... but turmeric tea? Seriously? So then Carol, who was about to embark on a four-month cruise and so you'd think would have better things to do, asked if I'd like her to make me a cup. Well, admittedly intrigued and priding myself on the fact that I'll try any-vegan-thing once, I said sure. Besides, Carol loves whipping up goodies to share with us, and I'd hate to rob her of the joy. :-) So moments later she met me on the sidewalk with a mug of the delightfully aromatic, steaming frothy stuff. My first sip was a pleasant surprise, and by my second sip I was hooked. I've been drinking a mug of its creamy goodness every day since. Sometimes, I actually crave the stuff. Especially on wintery days like today...

See those trees? 
(Of course you do, there's a giant red hand pointing at them!)
Here's what my new telephoto lens and a little editing did for them...

Trippin' on turmeric tea and telephoto trees :-)

Turmeric tea may prove to be more of an acquired taste for some of you, but for anyone out there who hasn't tried this yet, I would also hate to rob you of the joy. So below is the recipe, which Carol told me comes from Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who drinks a cup of it every night before bed to calm his nerves. I definitely find it a very comforting beverage, plus the spices in it are anti-inflammatory, and the (ceylon) cinnamon in particular packs a big dose of antioxidants and other health-promoting goodness. A mug or two of this a day is good stuff - but if you suffer from kidney stones, it's prudent not to exceed a teaspoon of turmeric a day due to its oxalate content.


Turmeric Tea

1 cup almond milk (I use vanilla flavored)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
(if using unsweetened vanilla almond milk, add 1 tsp sweetener of your choice)

Heat the almond milk in a microwave or on the stove and mix in the spices.


Carol mixes hers in her Vitamix, while I've used my regular blender, immersion blender, a whisk, and a spoon. In every case, the last swig is pretty much a tasty but sludgy mouthful of spices. I find just using a whisk does the best job with the least fuss.

When I had no vanilla almond milk on hand I tried this with vanilla soymilk, but it just wasn't as tasty. Neither is unflavored almond milk. Nope, vanilla almond milk is the way to go in this! (One of these days, I might even try it with chocolate!) 

13 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I've never tried almond or vanilla milk, either. Shall go forthwith and look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jabblog ~ Just to clarify, I used vanilla flavored almond milk. You can (over here, at least) also find unsweetened vanilla and chocolate flavored almond milks (and possibly unsweetened AND unflavored, though where's the fun in that?) :-) And, of course, you can make your own. Bon appetít! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm going to try this ,don't you!
    By the way,have your neighbours noticed your telephoto lens?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm extremely intrigued with the tea and will definitely be trying it. The combination of ingredients sound like they'd be lovely together. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

    Your lens can really pull in the images! Wonderful job with the trees. Are you getting to know your camera more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK I did not raise my hand, because I have no clue what tumeric is. However you will be impressed to know that I use plain ol' almond milk exclusively. Yay me. Since cinnamon is my fave spice and I do like ginger-well I'd be willing to give this one a go. I actually recognize 3 of 4 of the ingredients.
    I will not tell you I had a small steak the other night though. First one in months however.
    Happy day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it sounds intriguing enough for me to want to try it. I don't think we can get flavoured almond milk here so nut flavour will have to suffice! Love that Pythonesque hand :o)
    That image of the trees is gorgeous, glad you and your camera are becoming better acquainte!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I will pass on this recipe. I am sure it would be fine but I rather like my turmeric is small doses. I do use mine almost everyday with quinwoa it adds a little bite. Now cinnamon and ginger -- those I love -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane ~ I strongly suspected you would! :-) Let me know how you like it!

    This is only the second time I've used the telephoto lens, and the first time I aimed it anywhere near any houses. I believe the cover of cloudy, near-dawn darkness plus my distance will serve to keep my paparazzi paraphernalia a secret for a bit longer. ;-)

    Molly ~ Good for you ~ I'm eager to hear what you think of it! That combo of flavors is indeed good together, though unlike you, I didn't think so at first. I could imagine everything going together tastily except for the turmeric. Shows what I knew!

    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the telephoto'ed trees. :-) I'm getting a bit more familiar with it each time, but still really need to buckle down and learn it in larger doses instead of in little nibbles.

    Sue ~ Really? I'm betting you've probably had turmeric in dishes before, but didn't realize it. Sometimes it's used in small amounts for its bright yellow color than for its flavor or health benefits. I have several recipes that call for it - one in combination with cinnamon, cayenne and cumin (really tasty!) Anyway, I hope you'll give it a try . Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? :-) And yay for you, drinking almond milk exclusively! Good stuff, isn't it? Now we just need to get you hooked on nut milk ice creams. :-) As for the steak you aren't going to tell me about (???) - rather than hear about the first slab of cow's muscle you've eaten for months, I'd love to hear about the last one you've eaten for life! :-)

    Barbara (UK) ~ "Intrigue" seems to be the effect this tea has on all of us! My grocery store was out of vanilla almond milk, so I had to get "original" and will be trying my first mug of this tea made from it shortly. I'm sure it'll be fine (one can always add a bit of vanilla) - and I've even been tempted to try it using chocolate almond milk. Anyway, I look forward to hearing how you like it.

    "Pythonesque" hand - LOL! Perfect description. :-) I'm glad you like the image of the trees, as I was pretty pleased with how it turned out! My camera has been a bit neglected lately, so it was good to get it out and mess about with it again the other morning. Hope to do even more of that tomorrow.

    Barbara (KY) ~ That's what I thought when Carol handed me the recipe - I thought she must have switched the turmeric and ginger amounts. But then I found it online in a few places, and she had it right. I thought that much turmeric - especially mixed with only a cup of liquid - would taste bitter. But it doesn't, not at all. I can't really taste the turmeric per se - it and the other flavors seem to form a unique medley all their own. I'd encourage you to try it, you'll never know what you might be missing if you don't! I had the same trepidation about trying chocolate mixed with cayenne, but my fear was unfounded there, too. It's a fantastic, if unlikely, combination of flavors! Now I love a little cayenne and cinnamon in my chocolate muffins and hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious, I'm actually making it right now. Have unsweetened vanilla almond milk on hand. Great way to get those bonus benefits before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose ~ IS good! (Thinks me.) :-)

    Ingrid ~ Oh, good for you! I hope you'll stop back by to share your opinion of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No nose wrinkling from me since I'd heard from a trusty source before hand that it was yummy! I have only vanilla soymilk on hand so I'll wait until I have vanilla almond milk on hand to try it. (I think I have tumeric - I haven't used it in a long time). It does sound intriguing but needs a new name - like a "Hot Tumeric Frappe" though only us New England types will know what a frappe is. :-) I just think that sounds more like what it is than tea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jo ~ :-) I'm glad you're going to wait and make it with vanilla almond milk. (I also think it would taste really good with vanilla hemp milk, but I rarely have that on hand so haven't tried it).

    It is a bit like a hot frappe! Creamy and frothy. I think it's like chai (which is actually the Russian word for tea, but "chai" is often thicker and creamier than the watery substance we're used to when we think of "tea"). The official name of this beverage is, "Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Creamy Calming Turmeric Tea." But my blog post titles are usually too long as it is. :-)

    Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it! It does have a little bit of a spicy "kick," but I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"