My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Harvest Feast ~ "Moroccan Chickpea Stew"


Here are a couple of photos of Sunday night's dinner. It's one of our favorite meals, and is especially good on cold, dreary evenings... which describes Sunday's weather perfectly. And its colors are so Fallish, I thought it would be fun to photograph with our dining room table Autumn decor. My batteries died after the first snap, so by the time I found charged batteries, replaced them, and took several more photos, our food had been sitting there several minutes. Luckily, I'm married to a very patient man and this dish holds its heat for quite a while!


The recipe is "Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes" from Robin Robertson's Vegan Fire & Spice cookbook. But we like to call it "Moroccan Chickpea Stew." Don't ask me why I tossed "Moroccan" into the name. Okay, ask me. :-) For some reason, Morocco was popping into my head every time I made this dish. It just made me think of something you might find in a Marrakesh café. Not that I've ever eaten in a Marrakesh café, but I have a pretty vivid imagination. :-)



While I can't share the recipe here since it's copyrighted, I can tell you that in addition to the chickpeas and sweet potatoes, it has onion, diced tomatoes (we use organic fire-roasted tomatoes, and I don't bother to drain them like the recipe says to), and since I had some fresh organic spinach I needed to use up, I threw some of that in during the last 5 minutes of cooking. It also has an awesome combination of spices: cinnamon, turmeric, cumin and cayenne. (The aroma of this dish while it sautés and simmers is delightful!) I do the sautéing in water instead of oil, and where the recipe calls for adding 1/2 cup of additional water, I use the water the sweet potatoes steamed in. We serve this over whole wheat organic couscous (another taste of Marrakesh!) It's very good cold the next day, too, though we never have much left over.


This dish is best prepared and enjoyed on a cold and stormy night while listening to "Marrakesh Night Market" on Loreena McKennitt's The Mask and Mirror CD. :-)

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful table setting! That stew sounds right up my alley. Thanks for you kind words on our house blog. FYI: the homeowners on This Old House pay for the renovations, not PBS. If I had $100,000 I'd be all over it, but I doubt they want to film "This Incremental Series of Improvements."

    I can't believe you have snow already! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice compliment on my table setting, Mary!

    I had no idea the homeowners pick up the entire tab for their renovations! I wonder if they get the materials at cost or free or anything, in exchange for the plug the companies get on the show. Still... ouch! But I got a big chuckle out of "This Incremental Series of Improvements!" I think you should pitch the idea for that very show to PBS. Maybe you've discovered an untapped niche market! :-)

    Snow = scary indeed. And it's snowing again right now! Bah, humbug!

    ReplyDelete

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • THE HUMANE GARDENER ~ Nancy Lawson
  • THE WORLD WITHOUT US ~ Alan Weisman
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"