My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, October 5, 2009

A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words...



Especially if more than half those words would be unsuitable for printing! >:-(

This isn't what I was going to write about for my second post today, but I just came inside from doing my evening chores and I had to take a photo of what it's looking like out there. What you can't see is the cold wind that's howling, and the devastation to the plant life. We've been having such warm temps recently, most of the leaves hadn't even begun to turn yet, never mind fall off. So all this snow is bending, breaking and/or flattening everything. BW said town is a mess, branches down everywhere. :-(

The heavy snow and downed tree limbs are no doubt what caused our power outage (it was out all over the town), and the power company called me about an hour ago to ask if my power was back on! I told them it came on around noon and she said, "Okay, I just don't want to miss anyone, so I'm calling everybody!" Doubt that happens everywhere!

So now I'm out of time, so I'll have to post what I was gonna post just now - photos of our dinner last night amongst a lovely Autumnal display - tomorrow, because I need to go scrub and bake some spuds for supper (& leftover snackin's)!

I shall leave you with Mary McDougall's baked potato technique, which we use (with organic russets), and which makes the BEST baked potatoes (fluffy middles, crispy skins, YUM!)

Preheat oven to 475ºF.

Scrub the potatoes well and prick them all over with the tines of a fork.

Bake potatoes directly on the oven rack for one hour. They will be fluffy and delicious.

Never bake in aluminum foil. It makes potatoes pasty instead of dry and fluffy. If you like potatoes this way, make sure you wrap them in parchment paper before using the foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"