My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~ Ashleigh Brilliant


Monday, October 19, 2009

Simple meal, complicated squash!


BW made us such a delicious meal Saturday night, I decided to post a picture of it. No recipes required, it was just steamed broccoli, wild rice blend, and an acorn squash cooked in the pressure cooker. This is the kind of meal Helen Nearing would have loved: simple, whole, delicious and nutritious!


We kept the toppings simple too... tamari on the wild rice blend gave it a wonderful savory flavor. BW likes his squash sweet, so he put agave nectar and a little cinnamon on his, while I just put garlic salt and herb blend on mine, and just garlic salt on the broccoli.


Speaking of squash, one of BW's customers thrust this big ol' honkin' thing from her garden into his arms on Friday and insisted he bring it home!


Neither of us had a clue what kind of squash it was, so I looked it up online and I'm pretty sure it's a Kabocha, which neither of us had heard of before! (It amazes me that after more than nine years of vegan shopping, cooking and eating I'm still constantly discovering new plant foods ~ it's one of the many things I love about this way of life!) I read some tips on the various ways to cook it, but I have to say, I'm a bit intimidated! I mean, this squash is 27 inches around with a thick rind, and we don't own a chain saw or a machete! :-) I could bake it whole, but even if I had a baking dish large enough (which I don't!), I can't imagine how long that would take... oh well, we'll see what we come up with; it may be a culinary adventure worth blogging about. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will Blog For Comments. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to leave yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

SOME CURRENT & RECENT READING...

  • INFERNO ~ Dan Brown
  • MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD & EVIL ~ John Berendt
  • MY NOTORIOUS LIFE: A NOVEL ~ Kate Manning
  • ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927 ~ Bill Bryson
  • QUIET: THE POWER OF INTROVERTS IN A WORLD THAT CAN'T STOP TALKING ~ Susan Cain
  • THE BEAUTIFUL CIGAR GIRL ~ Daniel Stashower
  • THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY ~ Erik Larson
  • THE SHADOWS, KITH AND KIN ~ Joe R. Lansdale
  • THE TIPPING POINT ~ Malcolm Gladwell
There is still strong in our society the belief
that animals and the natural world have value
only insofar as they can be converted into revenue.
That nature is a commodity.
And that the American dream is one of unlimited consumption.
There are many of us, on the other hand,
who believe that animals and the natural world
have value by virtue of being alive.
That Nature is a community to which we belong
and to which we owe our lives.
And that the deeper American dream is one of unlimited compassion.

~John Robbins, "The Food Revolution"